We’ve had a strange winter so far, one week dipping down to -10F (-23C) for the lows, then the next week rising to 60F (15.5C) for a high. Well this past weekend we had mild weather and very sunny days, so I decided to break out my contact printing frame I got for Christmas and try my hand at cyanotypes again.

I did a few tests with Arches Platine and Cover/Velin and decided I liked the Cover/Velin best for the negatives I have. I did a few with 2 very light coats, and one with 2 moderate coats, brushed on and allowing each coat to dry thoroughly in between. I used the same digital negatives that I had from the Ziatype workshop (I probably need to make some more for future experiments). I also did a few direct prints from my 4×5 negatives, but I wasn’t all that happy with the results of those with this process.

Goodspeed
Goodspeed, 20 mins, noon sun
Cyano Steampunk, 30 mins, 2pm sun
Cyano Steampunk, 30 mins, 2pm sun
Cyano Steampunk, double-coated, 1hr, morning sun
Cyano Steampunk, double-coated, 1hr, morning sun

I think personal ideal would be someplace between these last two. I like the rich blue of the longer exposure with the 2 moderate coats, but it is far too contrasty for my tastes. Then again the original photo had a fair amount of contrast, but I think I could alter the curve on the digital negative and get better results.

Advertisements