I did a test with my new Canon Pixma Pro-100 printer and Arista II OHP transparencies. I used my previous baseline time frames for exposure and found they were wildly overexposed, likely because the Pictorico Pro OHP of my other digital negatives tends to block more UV than the Arista transparency.

I picked a photo from my current 52Rolls.net project, and used Arches Cover Velin paper. Using the liquid phographer’s formulary Cyanotype, I put two coats on the entire 11×14 sheet, letting each coat dry completely. I then cut into 4 equal pieces and placed my roughly 5×7 digital negative. I did exposures of 5-8 minutes, and developed all using the same method: warmish water with just a dash of hydrogen peroxide (not even a capful), then rinse completely. Before scanning, I made sure to let the prints dry completely. I will probably try bleaching back some of my early exposures that were completely overexposed for another tea-toning experiment.

There might have been some subtle difference in sunlight, as the 7 minute exposure seems darker than all the others. Such are the vagaries of working with natural UV rather than a UV exposure unit. All prints scanned with my Epson V700 and other than whatever adjustments it does automatically, I made no level adjustments to these scans. I did have to rotate as none of the prints aligned exactly with the edge of the paper. On the digital negative I added a narrow border to make this kind of adjustment easier.

5 minutes
5 minutes
6 Minutes
6 Minutes
7 Minutes
7 Minutes
8 Minutes
8 Minutes
Advertisements